ELCA World Hunger, Lutheran Disaster Response & ELCA Covid-19 Response Fund
We are very grateful to our church, the ELCA, for its coordinated effort to respond to the coronavirus. We lift up ELCA World Hunger, Lutheran Disaster Response, and the newly created, COVID-19 Response Fund.
Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR), working with partners throughout the world, is responding to the Covid-19 pandemic in many various ways, such as:
- Lutheran Disaster Response in our two Companion Synods, the Lutheran Church in Jordan & the Holy Land and Honduras, is providing food and necessities to support families whose livelihoods have been impacted.
- Through the Lutheran church in Italy, Lutheran Disaster Response is providing a hospital in Naples, Italy with masks, surgical gowns and respirators.
- In Sierra Leone, Lutheran Disaster Response is supporting the Lutheran church there so it can participate in a national response plan with the government.
- In China, LDR provided medical supplies like ventilators, protective face shields, disposable gloves and more, as well as daily necessities, like food.
- In the US, Lutheran Disaster Response is supporting vulnerable populations, like the elderly.
- Lutheran Disaster Response works with Lutheran World Federation and other partners to support global responses.
Recently, the ELCA created a specific “COVID-19 Response Fund.” Initially, this fund will primarily help synods, congregations and other church ministries that are vital in this time of the pandemic. As this fund grows, it will also encompass ministries with partners around the world.
In this time of COVID-19, what can we do to help?
Pray for the well-being of individuals in our country and in the world. Ask for God’s protection upon healthcare staff & essential workers. Pray for comfort, peace & hope for all.
Give out of God’s gracious blessings to these ministries in any of three ways:
- You can give through your congregation. You can send in a check made out to your congregation and in the memo line, you can write: ELCA World Hunger, Lutheran Disaster Response or ELCA COVID-19 Response Fund.
- You can mail in a check directly. Write your check to:
ELCA World Hunger, Lutheran Disaster Response or COVID-19 Response Fund
Then mail it to ELCA, PO Box 1809, Merrifield, VA 22116-8009.
- Or you can go online and use your credit card: org/hunger; elca.org/disaster; elca.org/publichealth
ELCA World Hunger’s “Daily Bread Grants”
___Does your congregation have a feeding ministry at your church?
Thank you for your caring, your prayers and your gifts! The World Hunger Team, New England Synod